Saturday, June 02, 2007

Shanghai

I took shitloads of time to put up the pictures and it's a 3-day trip. O dear, i don't think my Turkey pics will ever be up. Anyway, here's how the 3 days went.

I stayed at a friend's place. Very swanky 4-room condominium development, apparently by Keppel Land. Yep, little Singapore in Shanghai.
My temporary room and toilet.
Below is there guest room. It only has a sofa bed and a TV.
I arrived at 7am, reached my friend Y's place at about 830am. Said bye to him as he went to work. I walked around the apartment for a little bit, then i headed off to the streets of Shanghai!
Ok, i decided to go everywhere on foot. And i mean everywhere. Basically from Y's apartment, which sits on the intersection of Chang De Lu and Xinzha Lu, i walked along Chang De and it hits Nanjing Xi Lu, which is a freaking long road and links everyone in Shanghai, or so i imagine. So yea, below are some pics of Nanjing Xi Lu. I got really tired at around noon and found myself sitting in Starbucks. Ok, don't laugh, but i was actually a little apprehensive about sitting in a non-familiar place. Even if it was a respectable looking tea house. I ended up in Macs and Starbucks at various parts of the day, all along Nanjing Lu.


Along Nanjing Lu, if u keep walking, u hit the grand theatre.
And below is the Shanghai Cityhall. (if i didn't remember wrongly)
And here, my destination: The Shanghai Museum.
Honestly, i was rather disappointed at the museum. It's not any fault of the museum. It's a nice easy layout, just that i'm not all that into bronze carvings, pottery and calligrphy. But there was a visiting exhibition of American art, which i liked. The entrance was Y20, which translates to S$4. it's alright for a 2-hour walk and easy breathing.

Then i continued with my walk, wanting to find Huangpi Nan Lu station. But along the way, i saw this. I didn't actually go there. I merely took a picture.
I did reach Huangpi station. Only that once again, i didn't take the train. I wanted to buy my Jiaotong card, but the little stall wasn't open. And i didn't mind walking. So i did. I headed to Chenghuang Miao, also known to be the area near Yu Garden. And along the way, i passed the Wedding street. It's a little eerie cos they hang the wedding gowns outside. And the dresses would swing in the wind, making them look like ghosts. Didn't help that it was a cloudy day.
Below: the stalls around the temple. I kinda got lost here. And got pretty freaked out. It was a combination of things. Like the gloomy day, me not being used to the people, the dirt, the streets. I think at some point i almost cried. I'm weird this way. In Sec One, i cried cos it was my first day. Yea, i'm timid this way.

Below, the entrance of Old Shanghai street. At the end of it, it connects to Henan Bei Lu, which if u walk along it, u hit the swanky streets again, like Westin Hotel, where Deloitte offices are.


Yep, touring alone means taking idiotic shots like this.
Then, the light at the end of the tunnel: i met W for dinner. And we had Kailan in ice, Brinjal and this other chicken dish that doesn't deserve a picture. The entire meal cost Y89 for both of us.

Below: this is Nanjing Dong Lu, also called the Nanjing Bu Xing Jie.


We're getting near the Bund if we keep walking, which is what we did!
He Ping Fan dian - Peace Hotel.
The (cloudy/foggy) view of Huangpu river.
Peace Hotel again.
I forgot what building this is.
Ping Tang Hu Lu. Very yummy. Y3.

Once again, i forgot what this building is again. But we walked and walked and oohed and arhed at the sights and building and lights. Then when we were too tired to take another step, we decided to part. I took my first form of public transport in Shanghai: the cab.
It has in-cab entertainment. The ride 'home' cost me Y21.
The next day, after i visited the office, i went to QiPu Lu, which is really our version of Far East Plaza at a fifth of the price.

Me taking picture in the office toilet.
Outside the office, there is an italian restaurant cafe/restaurant.






Then in the night, i met J for dinner. She works at PwC Shanghai. It is a gorgeous office.


The next day: i walked along Nanjing Xi Lu again to meet A for lunch. I passed the Shanghai exhibition centre. Apparently Mao has been here!


Another mall i passed.

Yep, i just wanted to take the New York Pizza.






This is the Jing An temple, which is a 10 min walk from Y's place. It has a mall near it too. It's interesting how it seems like 'settlements' form around temples.
My first time taking the metro. After my first time, i was hooked. It's nice and clean, like in Singapore. cost Y3 for a standard ride, ie, not too long a ride. Below: don't these gantries look familiar?


The No 1 Shanghai department store. i didn't go in. But it's one of those that's mentioned in the travel guide.
I was at People's Square. Ren Min Guang Chang. I was headed to the Shanghai Urban Planning museum. Below: the town plan. The blue part is the Huangpu river, which splits Shanghai into Puxi and Pudong, which means the west and east side of the Huangpu river respectively.
Below: a virtual tour of Shanghai in the museum.
After that, i headed to Pudong.



Below: a mock-up of old shanghai streets in the Urban Planning Museum.


The tower. i forgot the name.

My last day ended with dinner with Y and B. And after that we had dessert. Similar to ice-kachang.
Except this one is as big as my face.
Yep. that's my Shanghai for u. =)

No comments: