Friday, June 02, 2006

happy me sad me

A very very precious friend of mine returned from London. She called today and i was ecstatic. I virtually screamed in my quiet office. "i miss you!" i screamed silently.


But she bore very sad news. A mutual friend passed away today. I was overtaken by shock. I didn't know what to say next. i felt like it stole every right i had to be overjoyed that a dear friend is back. It didn't feel right to be glad. I was sad.

I wouldn't pretend to be close to her. We are as close as people on the same rugby team. The difference is that i'm the substitute level. She's the player level. But she's also the fun player. I remember her coming up with devious plots to trick opponents. Most of the time, the plots just made everyone laugh and forget the nerves that were jittering before a match. She made substitutes feel like players.

She's dead. And it's sad. I didn't expect to be affected. But i was. And it hurts. It hurts to see a young life ended. And it sucks that i know her. Even though not that well.

I was telling my Dad today (my blood Dad), that i didn't use to think that long life was such a big deal. And he asked me why. And i said that it's cos from the days i was in Sunday school, we were taught that heaven is a wonderful place ( i can even sing the song) and that we should hate the world. But today, i really give thanks for my earthly life.

I came so that you may have life. And life abundant.

No comments: