Monday, June 02, 2008

Death and goodbyes

Recently i've been spending my time watching Six Feet Under. It's an american TV series about death. Well, actually, to be more precise, it follows this family who runs the undertaker business. Every episode begins with a death and the story continues. It has been produced for a long time but never shown in Singapore because of the nude and homosexual scenes. I'm still early in the show, so the verdict isn't out.

My friend's grandpa passed away on Sat. And though i'm not all that close to her, i made it a point to drop by the funeral wake. I just felt that that was the least i could do. We had pretty good conversations. Contrary to the mood, we had some pretty good laughs. I guess it really helps when we know that death is not the end. But simply the start of another life.

I couldn't help but think of my grandma. And how i missed her funeral. And how much i miss her. But it was also through that experience that helped me to realise that funerals are an important thing. It allows people to show grief openly and to express their feelings for their loved one. Also, it is a gathering of people who are related and who feel love for the same person. There's always comfort in knowing another person is feeling the same way, or can better understand how u might be feeling at that moment.

That was my weekend for me. I mean, that was the highlight. Other than that, it was the distribution of my sister's wedding invites, a formal and traditional process for some. Or a sheer necessity for others. In any case, it was something that had to be done. And it was done with much laughing and much smiling.

It was a busy weekend. And i'm actually glad to be back at work.

No comments: