Monday, May 22, 2006

Oh beautiful feet

Yes, in my quest for beautiful feet, and before u tink i'm really the sort who'll throw my life away for beauty, it was on the doctor's advice. The title of this entry can also be 'Oh functional feet". But it sounds weird doesn't it?

Heh.

I admitted myself into Gleneagles on Thursday early morning at 6am. The surgery was scheduled to be at 730am. My dad dropped me as he had a flight to catch at 8am. I didn't expect myself to be so scared. I thought it'l be nothing. I mean, it's not anything has changed. But i felt very alone. And the idea of GA (general anasthesia) scared me further.

I did the necessary, including handing my Letter of Guarantee and Medisave form, and allowed the counter staff to make a copy of my IC. Then, 2 steward-like Bangladeshi guys, nice and politely led me to my room 808. They taught me how to use the locker and how to adjust the bed, then they left me.

I lay on the bed, staring at the ceiling light. I thought i had time to catch a wink. But in like 5 minutes, an auntie-like voice sounded "cheryl...". Well, the nurse had come with operating dress (really just a piece of cloth with strings). So i changed and put my stuff in the locker. And within minutes, i was being wheeled into the theatre. I wanted to cry. I felt like a little girl again.

The threatre is just like what we see on TV. Bright and clinical. Everyone was chirpy and happy, poking fun at one another. (according to B, "it's how Grey's Anatomy!") Seriously, i wouldn't noe cos i don't watch. I kept asking, "Are u my anasthestist?" But most of my answers were like "No, but he's coming soon." "No, he's much shorter".

When he finally came, it was, again like on TV. He had a comforting voice. And spoke more slowly than the rest of the pple in the room. He explained what he was going to do. I asked him if there was any chance that i might sleep forever, i.e. die. And he said no. Then i asked if i might wake up halfway. He said no again and i was satisfied. He then proceeded to 'find my vein' and when he finally came to the final jab, he said, "Cheryl, this is it. Do u drink? What do u drink?"
i said, "erm...i like red wine, Baileys..yea, that's about it." "Ok, this is going to feel like 4 red wines with 2 Baileys ok?" "Ok."

And then i felt it. Then, like some drunk shit, i said "oooooooooooh. i feel it now. I'm floating..." Then i shut my eyes.


I as i was being wheeled out of the threatre. I recognised the bright lights. And then the pain hit. It was so so bad. I don't even know how to describe it.

I fell back to sleep under the influence of the drug.

I next awoke to an overwhelming pain that made me cringe as if i was having spasms. I was on a drip that administered painkiller constantly. The surgeon came by, saw my state. And instructed the nurse to increase the dosage. The painkiller attempted to reduce the pain. It also left me weak and groggy. En, B, P and D came by to see me. I felt so loved. But i was so weak, i could only open my eyes a bit and fall back to sleep, with my mouth wide open.

The nurse urged me to eat. and i wanted to kill her. Cos i was not able to. The painkiller had reduced all my muscles to zero. It rendered me unable to musticate my food. Or even swallow. I could only give thanks that all the oral painkillers were paired with anti-gastric pills.

By the middle of the next day, i was much better. Pain visited in momentarary pricks that brought tears, but the threat to kill was much less likely. i was also able to be taken off the drip. I could eat too. But hospital food is tasteless. And to add to my inactivity, i didn't really have reason to eat.

I stayed another night. I was not able to move an inch off my bed. I depended on the bedpan to pee. I had no shit. Perhaps i was truly scared shitless. ha. It was a Saturday that i was discharged. My sis came to bring me. It felt good going home. Cos i was starting to feel bad for troubling everyone to come and visit me/ take care of me.

Now i'm home. With a grand total of 5 days of MC. I am bored to tears. I actually want to work. But this actually gives me time to blog. And laze around. And sleep. Now my feet looks like this:


Yea, the toes are swollen from the water retention. I haven't seen the work of the surgeon. I only get to this Friday. Can't wait. Will show u soon. yippee.

No comments: